My Thoughts on Social Media

You either love it or you hate it!?

What is a social networking site?

Based on a Google Search...

Social network sites are web-based services that allow individuals to create a public profile, to create a list of users with whom to share connections, and view and cross the connections within the system. 

In early 2000 I started dabbling in social media, I first started with My Space and then blogging, I never really spent a whole lot of time on My Space, but I did find it interesting connecting with people, Later on several friends and family asked me to join Facebook, but I wasn't overly interested. I was going through a divorce and my time was consumed with making sure my children were okay, and I was okay. I was going to school, and working full time, I did not have time for social media. 

In 2007 I finally registered for Facebook, once I got the hang of it, it was great. What I found amazing is that I could connect with family and friends all over the world. Each day I would log in, I would have one friend add me, then another, and another, then I started to add friends, it was super cool. I had always wondered how my friends and even my ex-boyfriends got on. It was nice to see that they were happy with beautiful families. 

Lets fast forward to 2016...Alot has happened, I am fluent in all social media sites and because of that I have met some of the most amazing people in my life. Over the last several years, I've traveled many places and met people that I would not normally have ever met. It was so wonderful putting the face to the name, because of Social Media, I have an amazing group of Oprah friends (OWN Ambassadors) that are called Framily (Friends like family). Facebook is about connecting, whether it is used for greatness or not, your posts can influence your audience in a good or bad way. I always think it over 2 or 3 times before I post. I am always thinking, how is this going to be perceived? I try to be informative, impactful, influential, inspirational or motivating, it is not very often you will find post from me that are not. I am true to myself, and I try to be transparent so others can see the real me as well. 

In 2009 I created a Twitter account and because I had just finished my Certified Professional Co-Active Coach program with Coaches Training Institute I wanted to start building my Coaching business. Twitter is a wonderful marketing tool, you can literally connect to whatever or whoever interests you. For myself, I gravitate to people or organizations that are influential in society. You have to be really creative to get your message a crossed with only 140 characters. My biggest surprise on Twitter was the day I was down doing laundry, and my phone chimed. When I looked I almost fell off my chair, I was the 92nd person that Oprah followed, considering she has 32 million followers that is a huge deal. 

Social Media does have a down side, it can be addictive, and at times people portray someone there not. In addition, Social Media has affected marriages and/or other relationships in a negative way. There is also a term that people suffer with and it is called "The Fear Of Missing Out" (
FOMO) which is an anxiety that an exciting or interesting event may currently be happening elsewhere (and your not there), often aroused by posts seen on a social media website.

There are so many aspects to social media that are absolutely great, but then there are are others that are not,  such as; posting pics that aren't yours, posting pictures or status'  of people without their permission. Social Media has been taken way to far in some cases. Use your imagination, there are plenty.


I learned a valuable lesson recently, a family member wanted to step back "out of life" so to speak, and made every effort to do so. When I heard this person was coming to visit, I was ecstatic, and I posted so. This person was upset with me, because they purposely made a point not to share on social media and there I was sharing on Facebook. I need to be more aware and respect peoples wishes, this was a valuable lesson. I have other friends who do not like pictures posted on Facebook so I respect their wishes as well. So just because you may want to post, make sure you ask the person their permission, not everyone wants their business on Social Media.

I will leave you with a couple of pic

Thanks for stopping by...

Much love,

Shelley

You can find me on;

 Twitter  
Instagram 
Google+ 
You Tube
Facebook (Personal)

Facebook - Mobile Mentor
Linkedin
Blogger
My Website
Pinterest

I was the 92nd person that Oprah followed, she has 32 million followers.



  1. Founding OWN Ambassadors (Framily)

Comments

Popular Posts